According to the Nature Decree, the Institute for Nature and Forest Research (INBO) is obliged to report regularly on the state of nature. NARA-2020 is a status and trend report on biodiversity in Flanders. It is built around the 6 main objectives of the EU biodiversity strategy 2020:
1. Full implementation of the Habitats and Birds Directives;
2. Conservation and restoration of degraded ecosystems and their services by setting up green infrastructure;
3. Positive contribution of the key sectors of agriculture and forestry - through targets and measures - to the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity;
4. Achieving sustainable fisheries without significant adverse impacts on other stocks, species and ecosystems;
5. Prevent the introduction and establishment of new invasive alien species;
6. Increase the European contribution to averting global biodiversity loss.